Berlin on a beggar's budget


street art. one in the head, one in the gut. Life in the big city.
I woke up around 11am this afternoon, sore from yesterday's biking and in a funk. I wasted about 3 hours in bizarre angst and self hatred, mad that I wasn't fluent in German yet, that I didn't know the city  as well as I wanted to and that I wasn't friends with every person who has ever lived here. dead or alive. When I came to my senses (I will assume this is a normal feeling for travelers in similar situations to my own) I pawed through my stack of pamphlets collected the day before, was frustrated with the amount of money I could not spend on cultural activities and searched for choirs in Berlin that I could join. tomorrow. and start singing in Deutsch with Deutschen Sängerin. Take that bad mood! (It is worth noting that nearly all of the 15 people I contacted wrote back within a matter of hours. Ich liebe Musikerin pünktlich.) Then with only a small ember of self hatred remaining and a heavy sense of cabin fever, I jumped on my bike and rode in the direction of the Berlin Philharmonic. After failing to convince them to take me in as a volunteer so I can see free shows (this is not San Francisco after all...) I rode around Potsdamer Platz. Finding Potsdamer Platz rather commercial and devoid of juicy morsels of culture/discoverables... I   got lost in the surrounding neighborhood and found myself at the Berlin Wall, across the street from Hitler's old headquarters. I spent about an hour and a half reading historical tidbits surrounding the history of the wall. Once my heart was buried 5438759487589347 feet underground I decided to retrace my steps and buy an espresso and eat the croissant I had packed in my bag. I have discovered that I can sit at a cafe forEVER, without dirty looks from the waitress, if I buy coffee and eat whatever I have thrown in my backpack from breakfast. Genau. I had dinner with my hosts, Birgit always sets such an elegant/romantisch table, and spoke mostly German until meine Gehirn was kaputt. After copious complaints on my part that live music is too expensive I was encouraged by a source to just enter with the smokers at intermission for all the live shows I want to see but cannot afford. This is brilliant. I will do this.
Wall with outdoor museum of historical tidbits

The Wall

The Wall


Comments

Popular Posts